3M Diffuser Film 3635-30 White
3M Diffuser Film 3635-30 White
This matte gloss film is specially formulated to provide 30% light transmission to control light or achieve special effects on internally-illuminated signs. It is thermoformable and has pressure sensitive adhesive. Contact 3M Customer Service for ordering information.
3M™ Diffuser Films 3635-30, 3635-70
3M™ Envision™ Diffuser Films 3735-50, 3735-60
Use films 3635-30 and 3635-70 for fluorescent lighting applications
Use films 3735-50 and 3735-60 for LED applications
For the most current 3M Technical Information available to successfully use this product, please view this Bulletin electronically and
click on the blue underlined links to view the relevant documents.
1. Product Description
A. Product Features • 2-mil, white vinyl film
• Available in four transmission levels
• Pressure sensitive adhesive adheres to rigid substrates
• Create custom lighting effects for backlit applications
• Control brightness and light distribution within light boxes without hotspots
• Eliminate need to back-spray thermoformed applications
• Permanent film
B. Recommended Types of
Graphics and End Uses
When used as described in this Bulletin, these types of graphics and end uses are
warranted by the 3M™ MCS™ Warranty. Please read the entire Bulletin for additional
• Internally-illuminated signs
• Thermoformable under controlled conditions
• First surface applications using films 3635-30, 3735-50 and 3735-60 without being
covered by another film.
• Second surface applications without applying another film
C. Performance Overview 3M tests the performance of both individual products and finished graphic constructions.
This table shows the best performance expected from these products without a Warranty
Period and with a Warranty Period.
For detailed graphic construction and application options along with specific Warranty
Periods, please see the Warranty Information, Section 5 on page 3.
Expected Performance Life. This is the estimated period of time the product should perform satisfactorily.
Unprinted film with no graphic protection, applied to a flat vertical outdoor surface. 7 years
3M™ MCS™ Warranty. This is the maximum period of time 3M will warrant the finished graphic performance.
Unprinted film applied to a flat, first surface application and a substrate recommended by 3M. 9 years
D. Limitations of End Uses These 3M films are not designed or recommended for the following uses. Please contact us
to discuss other options.
(1) Unsuitable End Uses
for This Film
• Do not print on the diffuser film.
• Do not use film 3635-70 for first surface applications that are not covered by a UV-resistant
Product Bulletin Diffuser – 2
2. Compatible Products These 3M diffuser films may be eligible for the 3M™ MCS™ Warranty when used witht eh
3M Products listed below. Click on the blue underlined text to view the Product Bulletin for
A. Films • 3M™ Translucent Graphic Film Series 3630
• 3M™ Envision™ Translucent Film Series 3730
• 3M™ Scotchcal™ Translucent Graphic Film IJ3630
• 3M™ Envision™ Translucent Graphic Film IJ3730
B. Graphic Protection • 3M™ Scotchcal™ Gloss Overlaminate 3640GPS
• 3M™ Scotchcal™ Matte Overlaminate 3642GPS
• 3M™ Scotchcal™ Gloss Overlaminate 3658G
• 3M™ Scotchcal™ Matte Overlaminate 3660M
C. Other Products • 3M™ Premasking Tape SCPM-3
3. Physical and Application
These are typical values for unprocessed product; processing may change the values.
Contact your 3M representative for a custom specification.
A. Physical Characteristics Characteristic Value
Film color White color; uniform in both reflective and transmitted light
Thickness Without adhesive: 2 mil (0.05 mm)
With adhesive: 3-4 mils (0.08 – 0.10 mm)
Liner 78 pound, white kraft paper
Adhesive type Pressure sensitive
Adhesive color Clear
Tensile strength 5 pounds/inch at 73°F (0.9 kg/cm at 23°C)
Chemical resistance Resists mild alkalis, mild acids, and salt; excellent resistance to water
(but not immersion)
Flammability Click on the appropriate link to see the ASTM E84 report—3635-30;
3635-70; 3735-50 & 3735-60– or go to the On-line Product Catalog
at 3Mgraphics.com. For all other test reports, call 1-800-328-3908.
3635-30: 42% +/- 2%
3735-50: 52% +/- 2%
3735-60: 63% +/- 2%
* Contact your 3M representative for alternatives if your application require a different light transmission value
than listed above.
Product Bulletin Diffuser – 3
B. Application Characteristics Characteristic Value
Surface type: Flat
Substrate type: Acrylic, polycarbonate, PETG (glycol-modified
Application temperature: 60°F (16°C) minimum
Application method: Wet application method or cold roll laminator
Adhesion strength Acrylic panels: 3 pounds/inch (0.5 kg/cm)
Applied shrinkage 0.015 inch (0.4 mm)
-20° to +175°F (-29° to +80°C)
source for best results
Films 3635-30 and 3635-70:
Films 3735-50 and 3735-60:
Removability Permanent (not intended to be removed)
A. Exposure U.S. Vertical
face of graphic The face of the graphic is +/- 10° from vertical
face of graphic The face of the graphic is greater than 10° from vertical
and greater than 5° from horizontal. This includes
non-vertical surfaces of vehicle wraps or fleet graphics.
Any outdoor graphic exposed to solar energy more than half of the daylight
hours in Arizona, New Mexico and the desert areas of California, Nevada,
Utah and Texas is subject to reduced warranties. Click here for a detailed
B. Graphic Construction The products used to make a graphic, which may include film and/or flexible substrate, graphic
protection, ink, printer and application tape.
C. Graphic Protection Overlaminate films or clear coats used to protect the graphic and/or change gloss.
D. Graphic Types Indoor Signs Stationary graphics applied indoors and not exposed to the elements
Outdoor Signs Stationary graphics applied outdoors and exposed to the elements
First Surface Film applied to a substrate so the viewer sees the film before the substrate
Second Surface Film applied to a substrate so the viewer sees through the substrate to the
5. Warranty Information
A. Warranty Coverage
The Warranty coverage for each graphic is based on the user(s) both reading and following
all applicable and current 3M Product and Instruction Bulletins. 3M will honor the Warranty
Period stated in the base film’s Product Bulletin that is current when the film was
purchased. The Warranty Period may be reduced and stipulations may apply for certain
constructions and applications, as covered in this Bulletin.
The following is made in lieu of all other express or implied warranties, including any
implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose or implied warranty
arising out of a course of dealing, custom or usage of trade.
B. 3M Basic Product Warranty This product is warranted to be free of defects in materials and manufacture at the time of
shipment and to meet the specifications stated in this Product Bulletin and as further set
forth in the 3M Graphics Warranties Brochure.
Product Bulletin Diffuser – 4
C. Limited Remedy 3M will replace or refund the price of any 3M materials that do not meet this warranty within
the specified time periods. These remedies are exclusive.
D. Limitation of Liability Except where prohibited by law, 3M SHALL NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BE LIABLE
TO PURCHASER OR USER FOR ANY DIRECT (EXCEPT FOR THE LIMITED REMEDY PROVIDED
ABOVE), INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING,
BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LABOR, NON-3M MATERIAL CHARGES, LOSS OF PROFITS,
REVENUE, BUSINESS, OPPORTUNITY, OR GOODWILL) RESULTING FROM OR IN ANY WAY
RELATED TO SELLER’S PRODUCTS, SERVICES or THIS BULLETIN. This limitation of liability
applies regardless of the legal or equitable theory under which such losses or damages are
sought including breach of contract, breach of warranty, negligence, strict liability, or any
other legal or equitable theory.
E. Additional Limitations See the 3M Graphics Warranties Brochure at 3Mgraphics.com, which gives the terms, additional
limitations of the warranty, if any, and limitations of liability.
F. 3M™ MCS™ Warranty
Subject to Stipulations set forth in
Section G, below
Finished graphics constructed with the materials specified and the exposure specified in the
Warranty Period Table, below, are eligible for the 3M™ MCS™ Warranty. For warranties
for other exposures, see Section G(1) on page 5.
(1) Warranty Period For
Non-thermoformed Outdoor Signs
U.S. Vertical Exposure (in years)
Non-solar grade Polycarbonate
First None 6 0*
Non-solar grade polycarbonate
Second None 6 5*
Solar grade polycarbonate
Second None 9 6*
Thermoformed Outdoor Signs
Non-solar grade Polycarbonate
First None 4 0
Non-solar grade polycarbonate
Second None 4 3*
Solar grade polycarbonate
Second None 6 3
* For warranted first surface applications, diffuser film 3635-70 must be completely covered by one of the following
3M UV-resistant films: film series 3630 or 3730, films IJ3630-20, IJ3730-50, IJ3730-60, or overlaminates
3640GPS, 3642GPS, 3658G or 3660M.
G. General Warranty
3M™ MCS™ Warranty
These stipulations apply to graphics covered by the 3M™ MCS™ Warranty. Specific
provisions of these stipulations are found in the 3M Graphics Warranties Brochure at
Product Bulletin Diffuser – 5
(1) Reduced Warranty Period for
Other Graphic Exposures
For each exposure shown below, multiply the Warranty Period (in years) in the applicable
warranty, Section F(1) on page 4 for your graphic construction by the percentage shown
for the intended graphic exposure. This is the reduced warranty.
If the Graphic Exposure is:
Use this Percentage of
U.S. Vertical Exposure
U.S. Non-vertical 50% (0.5) 0.5 x 5 years = 2.5 years
0.5 x 9 years = 4.5 years
Desert Southwest Vertical 70% (0.7) 0.7 x 5 years = 3.5years
0.7 x 9 years = 6.3 years
Desert Southwest Non-vertical 35% (0.35) 0.35 x 5 years = 1.65 years
0.35 x 9 years = 3.15 years
U.S. Horizontal 0% (0.0) 0 years (no Warranty Period)
(2) Abrasion and Loss of Gloss Abrasion damage and loss of gloss are not covered by any 3M Warranty. This is considered
normal wear and tear.
(3) Application to Glass 3M accepts no liability for glass breakage when using this film for window graphics. See
3M Instruction Bulletin 5.1 for details.
(4) Application Outside the U.S. Contact the 3M organization for that country.
(5) Graphics Made with
Components Not Sold or
Recommended by 3M
The 3M™ MCS™ Warranty does not, under any circumstances, cover graphics made with
inks, film, graphic protection and/or application tapes that are not sold or recommended by
The user is solely responsible for the graphic appearance, performance and durability of
graphic constructions that include any non recommended or qualified products.
6. Factors that Affect Graphic
The actual performance life of a graphic is affected by:
• the combination of inks, printers and drying or curing, as appropriate.
• selection and preparation of the substrate.
• the method of decoration.
• application methods.
• exposure conditions.
• cleaning methods.
7. Application and Installation In addition to other Bulletins specified in this document, the following Bulletins provide
details that you may need to successfully apply a graphic.
• Design of graphics. 3M Instruction Bulletin 2.1.
• Design of cabinets for light boxes and channel letters. 3M Instruction Bulletin 2.4.
• Scoring and cutting. 3M Instruction Bulletin 4.1.
• Hot or cold roll lamination. 3M Instruction Bulletin 4.22.
• Making backlit signs with 3M digitally imaged graphics. 3M Instruction Bulletin 4.26.
• Thermoforming. 3M Instruction Bulletin 5.16.
• Application, general procedures for indoor and outdoor dry applications. 3M Instruction
• Storage, handling, maintenance, removal. 3M Instruction Bulletin 6.5.
Before using any equipment, always follow the manufacturers’ instructions for safe
Product Bulletin Diffuser – 6
A. Application Tape See 3M Instruction Bulletin 4.3 for complete details on how to use application tapes.
(1) When to use a Tape • Use as an application aid to increase stiffness, and prevent stretching and damage
• Use when little or no liner is exposed.
(2) Compatible Tape • Use SCPM-3 for the constructions shown in the Warranty Period table of this Bulletin.
B. Installation Apply this film by one of the following methods.
• Using a cold roll laminator. See 3M Instruction Bulletin 4.2.
• By hand using the wet application method. See 3M Instruction Bulletin 5.7.
8. Shelf Life, Storage and Shipping
A. Shelf Life Total shelf life: 3 years from the date of manufacture on the original box.
If you do process the film, do so within 2 years and apply within 1 year.
If you do not process the film, apply it within 3 years.
B. Storage Conditions • 40° to 100°F (4° to 38°C)
• Out of sunlight
• Clean dry area
• Original container
• Bring the film to print room temperature before using
9. Bulletin Change Summary Modified and new content is marked with a black bar in the margin. Diffuser films 3635-30,
3735-50, 3735-60 now can be used for first surface applications without being covered by
a UV-resistant 3M film. Updated Light Transmission values. Links to flammability reports are
included in Physical Characteristics. The Warranty Periods of film 3635-30 are now
consistent with 3735-50 and 3735-60; most non-vertical Warranty Periods equal one-half
of their corresponding vertical exposures. The 3M Related Literature section has been
replaced by direct links to the most current versions of Bulletins or warranty information you
may need to successfully use this product. All links are blue underlined text.
3M ID 75346591474
3M™ Diffuser Film 3635-30 White, 48 in x 50 yd
3M ID 75346591466 UPC# 00051128267912